The Shaping the Game series of TacticalPad videos and session activities is based on the UEFA C coursework presented by the Scottish FA offered through the United Soccer Coaches Master Coach diploma program.
The premise in Shaping the Game is to develop common tactical understandings within a block of players in a 4-3-3 in either the attacking or defending role.
- Back 4 attacking
- Back 4 defending
- Midfield 3 attacking
- Midfield 3 defending
- Front 3 attacking
- Front 3 defending
The “rules” of the activity include:
- Exactly 16 players divided between the 2 teams
- Players may be adjusted between sides of the field in order to create the appropriate scenario
- Players must be in relevant positions for the scenario
- The key player(s) in a scenario must be in the assigned block
- The activity is based in a segment of the field which is appropriate for the scenario, including goal(s)
Each activity includes two elements:
- The premise of the scenario (for example, left back plays to left forward)
- A “what if” possibility – in short, an action if the original option is unavailable (“bridged”)
The following two videos demonstrate both an option and a bridged alternative.